Saturday, June 19, 2010

First Grade Fun Project


When planning my project with the kindergartners, I assumed that they had had some experience with keyboards. I was surprised at how much help most of the students needed finding letters, using backspace and remembering how to use the space bar. I had planned to let the kids type more independently, but they needed my help, so in lieu of actually pointing out the letters/keys they needed to type their sentences, I gave them clues, i.e., middle row, top row, space bar, etc. I also told the kids that they could help each other find the letters and keys to encourage teamwork.

The students definitely met my understanding goal. They were able to pick up clues from the photographs that they chose to make sensible predictions about first grade. They also were able to check their work to make sure they were writing their sentences correctly (begin with a capital letter, spaces between words, finish with punctuation), and they did a great job working with their partners.

The technology did help the students achieve the goal. They enjoyed watching me cut and paste pictures into their documents ("Wow! How did you do that? It's like magic!") and the project gave them good practice with the keyboard.

I really liked watching the students work together to type their sentences. Not only did they help each other think of the sentences to write, they also helped each other find the keys and sound out and spell the words. The students loved using the computer. They really liked seeing their names on the document after they typed them. They loved seeing the finished page come out of the printer.

I would like to begin projects like these sooner in the school year so the students can get more keyboarding practice. I think they mainly use the mouse at home and in our computer lab. They could definitely benefit from more keyboard practice!

2 comments:

  1. Great analysis of your students, their skills and what they learned from your unit. I think it's important that they worked together (and you must have a lot to do with prepping them to be good partners!). I'm looking forward to finding out the projects you are planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a really fun project. Kids have sooooo much fun using computers when completing projects, I realized that myself when I did my computer assignment with my students as well.... I also was surprised with how much more they knew about computers than I had originally thought! I like how you used technology to help your students transition into the 1st grade, that can sometimes be a daunting experience for them, but you helped make it fun and exciting for them! I'm sure they laughed at some of the pictures too! Great project!

    ReplyDelete