Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spelling City, Here I Come!

If you are looking for a great way to begin a new spelling program or manage your current spelling program, look no further than Spelling City . This website is an amazing resource. You can input and manage your own spelling lists, keep student records, and take advantage of the many printables they have to offer. Spelling City also has a large number of spelling lists that they have created for your use. There are grade-level lists, thematic lists, and even geographic spelling lists. The printables for the spelling lists are fabulous. They offer many printing options such as letter style (traditional print or D'Nealian), upper or lower case letters, and different font sizes. You can also watch teacher training videos to see how the various features work. Students will love this website because they can take their spelling list, type the words where it says "Start Here" and then choose Teach Me, Test Me, or Play Games. And I have to say, the games are pretty fun. I especially like Speedy Speller and Letter Fall. It's a great resource to use in the classroom and recommend to parents for use at home. Spelling City has two types of memberships, the freebie, basic kind (which is what I have) and a premium membership, which involves moola ($49.99 a year for up to 30 students). The premium membership allows you to keep records and print reports and certificates among other things. I don't really need to do that sort of stuff in Kindergarten so I am sticking with the free membership. So teachers, if you're looking for a fun and innovative place to visit during your summer vacation, be sure to stop by Spelling City. You'll love it!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! This is an easy to use website. I use it with my 7th graders and they really like it (I just have a freebie account at this point).

    ReplyDelete